by Mike Bradley
I personally love making fun barbecue sauce flavors at home. It’s rewarding to add some of your own flair to a sauce. Sometimes I’ll throw some things together that I really love to make a sauce. Sometimes those results are best not to share (eek). 😝 Sometimes those results become one of my favorite recipes. This is one of those cases.
I’ve seen other sauces use similar ingredients, but the specific mix I have here outshines any mustard, bourbon or bourbon mustard BBQ sauce I’ve ever tried (it’s more than you think). I’ll even list the specific brands I used for this sauce so you can ensure the best results:
- Heinz ketchup and mustard
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon (all I had in house, I know this is a bit ridiculous)
- Claussen pickle juice, straight from a jar of dill pickles
- All spices are from McCormick
- Domino brown sugar
This sauce was fantastic on our brisket and was the favorite sauce of all of our guests. I also recommend using this on kielbasa, burgers, wings, or basically on anything that you would normally use BBQ sauce or mustard.
Bourbon Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Combine all wet ingredients in a medium saucepan and thoroughly whisk until completely combined.
- Add all of your dry ingredients and very thoroughly whisk again until all ingredients are combined.
- Simmer the sauce for approximately 15 minutes, whisking constantly after 5 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a very fine strainer into a bowl and then funnel it into a bottle of your choosing.
Did you try this recipe? Share your creations on social media by using the hashtag #sweetandsavorycouple!
Follow our blog with Bloglovin
© The Sweet & Savory Couple. The links in this blog post are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission at no extra cost to you. We appreciate your support!