by Amy Bradley
I know we’ve been a bit quiet lately. We welcomed a new addition to our family last week! His name is Rocky and he is an 8 month old Mastiff Mix. We rescued him from a local shelter and are falling in love with this little cutie. Now that he’s settling in, we can get back in the kitchen to create the awesome recipes you expect!
Now, on to the delicious stuff… try not to drool too much…
Who else is a chocoholic?! Pretty much anything loaded with cocoa goodness is a winner in my book. Brownies are a classic take on chocolatey baked goodness and I was determined to create my own recipe, while staying true to the traditional dessert. I decided to explore a fudgy texture, which is a little different from the chewy brownie recipes I typically lean towards.
I started with chopped bakers chocolate and butter, melting the two together to create a smooth and creamy chocolate base. How do you make chocolate even more chocolatey? Add cocoa powder, plus two subtle yet powerful ingredients – salt and espresso powder. Finally, sprinkle in some extra chocolate chips at the end to create little pockets of chocolate lava in each bite.
To get the fudgy texture I used extra egg yolk and some vegetable oil. In general, if you use more liquid and less dry ingredients, it will result in a fudgier texture. Also, if you take the brownies out of the oven a little earlier than usual, they will be more moist – that’s what you want for a really fudgy brownie.
What I really love about this recipe is you don’t need a stand mixer or even a hand mixer to make it. It takes only minutes to whip up and boom – homemade brownies from scratch in less than an hour. I hope you add this recipe to your repertoire – it’s simple and sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Mocha Fudge Brownie Recipe
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz. semi-sweet bakers chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (like Hershey’s)
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 square baking pan with aluminum foil. You may want to lightly spray the foil with baking spray if you are concerned with sticking. Allow a small overhang of foil on each side so you can use this to lift the brownies out of the pan later.
- Place chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat for 30 second spans, stirring after each until the butter and chocolate are completely smooth. (This took about 2 minutes for me.) Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add sugars, eggs and extra yolk and lightly whisk. Add vanilla, oil and chocolate mixture and again whisk lightly to combine.
- Add dry ingredients – cocoa powder, espresso powder, flour and salt. Whisk until combined. You shouldn’t see any flour or cocoa streaks.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Then, using a rubber spatula, scrape the mixture into your prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 27-31 minutes or until you see a few moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center. For me, 29 to 30 minutes was perfect. Do not over-bake!
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to sit in the pan for a few minutes. Using the aluminum foil overhang, lift the brownies out of the pan and place them on a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Share your creations on social media by using the hashtag #sweetandsavorycouple!
Follow our blog with Bloglovin
© The Sweet & Savory Couple. The links in this blog post are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission at no extra cost to you. We appreciate your support!