by Mike Bradley
I love pulled pork. Let me make this clear… I LOVE pulled pork. From the slow cooker or the smoker – it doesn’t matter to me, I love it. This is my perfect recipe for slow cooker pulled pork.
This creates a delicious meal with minimal effort. Just let the slow cooker do the work. You’ll need is a 7-quart Crock-Pot or other slow cooker, and a nice pork butt (pork shoulder). For this recipe, I used a 4 pound cut of meat.
Simply whisk all ingredients together inside the pot of your slow cooker, then add the meat fat side up. It’s literally that easy! I like to start off on the low setting for about 3 hours and finish up on high for about 3 hours. I find with a 4 pound pork butt that doing that low-high combo cooking results in the meat just falling apart easily when done.
When the 6 hours are up, it’s time to pull the pork. I like to use two big serving forks, but even normal forks work just fine. The first thing to do – which can sometimes be a little difficult – is to locate and remove the bone from the slow cooker. Once you’ve found and discarded that, you can use the forks to pull the pork until all large chunks are gone and mostly shredded. At this point you’ll probably think it looks more like pulled pork soup, don’t worry, that’s intentional. So, what next? If you’ve read many of my previous posts, you know I like my strainer…
Scoop all of the meat and juice and put it through a fine strainer – straining as much at a time as you can, unless you have a giant strainer for all of it. Once strained, you can put it in a big bowl, a storage container, or back into a Crock-Pot set to warm if you wish to keep it out for awhile.
Serve the pulled pork any way that you wish – I love it with my Rasberry BBQ Sauce. You can also add more Honey BBQ Sauce to keep it on the sweet side. You will find out what we did with our pulled pork soon on the blog… no spoilers, but it’s goooooood!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- 4 pound pork butt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Mike’s Honey BBQ sauce
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and whisk until fully combined, ensuring no lumps of any kind.
- Place the pork into the slow cooker, fat side up. Turn the slow cooker on to the low setting and let cook for 3 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to high for another 3 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Carefully, find and remove the bone from the meat.
- Drag two forks (preferably serving size) from the center of the meat, pulling outwards in opposite directions to shred the pork.
- Scoop the pork into a fine mesh strainer to remove as much excess liquid as possible. Place in a large serving bowl, a storage container, or back into a Crock-Pot set to warm if you wish to keep it out for awhile.
- Serve warm with your favorite barbecue sauce. The meat is ideal for sandwiches, but you can always just eat it by itself!
Did you try this recipe? Share your creations on social media by using the hashtag #sweetandsavorycouple!
Follow our blog with Bloglovin
© The Sweet & Savory Couple. The links in this blog post are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission at no extra cost to you. We appreciate your support!