by Mike Bradley
I personally love a hot and spicy Asian BBQ. Korean BBQ chicken… oh my, I fell in love the first time I tasted it. This sauce isn’t quite as hot as many Asian BBQ sauces, but it can easily be altered to suit whatever level of heat you desire. I try to keep things more mild for Amy’s sake, because a great cook makes things to suit their “audience”.
If you plan to kick the heat up on this sauce, be mindful that the heat level of the chilis will increase as you cook it. If anyone in your home does not like a hot sauce, go with what I’ve outlined below. This was just enough heat without being too much for Amy, who – as mentioned – is more sensitive to hot and spicy foods.
So far, we’ve made spicy Asian chicken wraps using this sauce – complete with cheese, lettuce and matchstick carrots, which helped to cut the heat. It was a great quick meal for us. I can’t wait to try this in different ways. Let us know if you use this sauce on your next meal by commenting below or tagging #sweetandsavorycouple on social media.
Thai Chili BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Thai chili garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium saucepan and whisk until completely combined. Taste the sauce at this point to ensure the heat is to a level that you enjoy. The current level should be mild.
- OPTIONAL: If you want the sauce to be hotter, add in 1 tablespoon of Thai chili garlic paste and Sriracha before tasting again. Always add in a 1:1 ratio to keep those elements in the proper balance. Whisk to combine after each addition.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool a little.
- Pour your sauce through a funnel and into your bottles. Refrigerate for about 24 hours before use. Put it on your favorite cut of chicken or pork, and enjoy! The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for several months.
Did you try this recipe? Share your creations on social media by using the hashtag #sweetandsavorycouple!
Follow our blog with Bloglovin
© The Sweet & Savory Couple. The links in this blog post are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission at no extra cost to you. We appreciate your support!