by Mike Bradley
Today’s offering is a very easy to make, uncomplicated Memphis Style BBQ Sauce. My wife and I have always been most drawn to this style of BBQ sauce for reasons we just can’t explain. It’s simple and delicious. The flavors aren’t exactly complex, but they’re satisfying. I could ramble on that way about this sauce for a long time. This is a basic recipe that anyone can make.
This sauce works incredibly well with my slow cooker pulled pork, but goes well with just about anything – even potatoes! Usually, when making a more standard style of BBQ sauce, I’ll just fire from the hip on what I put in and see how it comes out. In this case, I’ve refined the recipe a good bit. Simple as it may seem, it wasn’t easy to arrive at the ingredients to include or the amounts of them needed for just the right flavor I wanted. So without further delay…
Memphis Style BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Combine all wet ingredients in a medium sauce pot. This includes ketchup, mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and liquid smoke. Whisk these together until fully combined.
- Add dry ingredients including the light brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder. Whisk the sauce again until all elements are well combined.
- Heat the sauce over medium-low heat until it simmers. Simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Once slightly cooled, the sauce is ready to be bottled. Use a funnel to pour your sauce into the bottle.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours or so before serving for optimal taste.
Did you try this recipe? Share your creations on social media by using the hashtag #sweetandsavorycouple!
Follow our blog with Bloglovin
© The Sweet & Savory Couple. The links in this blog post are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission at no extra cost to you. We appreciate your support!